Trying to send a message on Instagram may result in “Instagram Failed to Send” error message resulting in an undelivered message. So, how do you solve that? In this article, I will show you 11 ways on how to fix Instagram messages failed to send error.
1. Check your internet connection
You will get Instagram messages failed to send error when you are not connected to the internet or your internet connection is unstable. To resolve, connect your device to a WIFI network with stable internet or use mobile data then retry sending the message. You can put your phone in airplane mode for a few seconds to refresh the internet connection. When using mobile data, ensure that you have an active internet data bundle. Also check that you are in a place with a strong carrier network signal.
2. Update Your Instagram App
Instagram is always updating their app making improvements to improve user experience. New changes may cause older version of the app to have anomalies like failing to send messages. It is thus important to update to the latest app version. To update your app, go to Google Play Store for Android or Apple App Store for iOS and check for the latest app version, then update.
3. Log Out and Log Back into your Instagram Account
You can log out and log back into your Instagram account to refresh your account session which will reload your messages. This may solve your Instagram messages failed to send error. To log out from Instagram App:
- Go to your profile page by tapping your profile picture icon at the bottom-right of the screen
- Tap the menu icon in the upper-right, then tap Settings
- Scroll down to the Logins section and tap Log out to log out of the account
- When logged out from Instagram, exit the app and restart your phone. You can then log back into your account and retry sending messages.
4. Check if Blocked by the Recipient
If you get blocked by a user on Instagram, messages you send them will fail resulting in Instagram messages failed to send error. To check if someone blocked you, open their Instagram profile and if you can’t see their posts, then the user has blocked you. If you are unable to send a message in a group then, some users within the group may have blocked you. In such a case, ask the users to unblock you.
5. Check if the User has Deleted the Post or Story
If you are trying to send an Instagram Post or Story via DM and it fails to send, then the account holder of the post may have deleted it. Go and confirm that the post exists before trying to re-send the message to avoid getting Instagram message failed to send error.
6. Spamming Behavior on Instagram
There are behaviors Instagram considers as spam. Examples are excessive videos and photos posting, and excessive likes and follows to an account within a short period of time. Others include offensive content, excess comments on posts and sending messages to many accounts within a short time. Instagram will detect and block such an account resulting in Instagram messages failed to send error. The account will also be unable to perform other activities on Instagram. To check if Instagram has blocked your account, try performing tasks like adding stories, liking a post etc. If it fails, then your account is blocked. To unblock your account, contact Instagram using Instagram Help Center.
7. Check if the Instagram Server Is Down
If the Instagram server is down, messages will fail to send and you will get Instagram messages failed to send error. To confirm if the server is down, ask if your friends can send messages. If they are facing a similar problem, you may have to wait for the server to resume.
8. Clear Instagram App Cache and Data
If you get Instagram messages failed to send error on an Android device, you can clear Instagram cache. To clear the cache:
- Open Settings
- Go to ‘App Management’. In some devices, it will be ‘Apps and Notifications’
- Tap ‘App settings’ and scroll down to Instagram from the list of apps
- Tap ‘Storage & cache’, then select ‘Clear cache’
- Reopen the app and try sending the message.
9. Uninstall and Reinstall Instagram App
If you have done all the above and are still getting Instagram messages failed to send error, uninstall and reinstall the Instagram App. After reinstalling, login to your account and try again. To uninstall the App on Android:
- Open Google Play Store App and search for Instagram
- Tap on the Instagram Icon and on the new Page, tap on Uninstall, then confirm uninstall
- After uninstalling, click on install then open the app, login to your account and retry.
10. Contact Instagram for Help
If all methods above fail, you can contact Instagram support for help. You can take a screenshot of the error and share with the support team who will assist you.
11. Use Instagram through Web Browser
You can solve Instagram messages failed to send error on App by accessing Instagram through your device web browser. Open the web browser e.g. Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge for Windows and Android users and Safari for iOS users. Navigate to instagram.com and login to your account. Send messages like you would do using the app.
I hope you managed to resolve Instagram messages failed to send error. Check back with us for more Instagram tips.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings